ADDERBURY, a parish in the hundred of Bloxham, in the county of Oxford, 3.5 miles to the S. of Banbury. Deddington is the post town. It comprises the townships of East and West Adderbury, and the chapelries of Barford St. John, Bodicott, and Milton. It is situated on Sorbrook a branch of the river Cherwell, not far from the Oxford canal. In Domesday Book it is named Edburghberic, and a century later, was called Ebberbury and Abberbury. In 1219, a religious impostor was sentenced, by the bishops at Oxford, to be crucified here. There are several charities in the parish, the revenue of which amounts to £257. Of this sum, the Feoffees' land, for the support of the poor and the maintenance of a school, and other benevolent purposes, produces £249. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, united with the perpetual curacies of Barford and Milton, value, £818, in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is a cruciform structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower surmounted by a lofty octagonal spire. The chancel was erected, by William of Wykeham, in 1385, and had anciently a grange attached to it. It contains some interesting specimens of early sculpture. The porch is of the decorated style; there are two fonts, and the church contains family monuments of the Oldys, Bustards, and Cobbs, of Adderbury Green. The bust of William of Wykeham, with his armorial bearings, is sculptured on the external walls, over the east window of the chancel, and his arms are also carved in the roof of the same. Here is a chapel for Wesleyans, and an endowed school for 50 boys, also a school for girls on the national system. The poor have the benefit of annual charities amounting to £100. In addition to the parish church, there is a district church at Bodicote, which is a perpetual curacy, value £150 in the patronage of New College, Oxford. The celebrated Rochester, who had the title of Baron Adderbury, had a seat here, at which he died. The mansion is now gone to decay. It was here that Pope visited the Duke of Argyll, who was occupying this seat at the time.

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003

Church Records

Please read the introduction and key to Church Records data reproduced from the Oxfordshihre FHS publication Oxfordshire Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts Seventh Edition (2006) originally by Colin Harris with updates by Hugh Kearsey and post-2006 updates by various members of Oxfordshihre FHS.

DedicationSt. Mary
OFHS map sq5I
RO refPAR 2
PR (ORO)C 1598-2002, M 1598-2004, Banns 1754-2004, B 1598-1898; (Inc) B 1898+
BT (ORO)1670, 1680, 1682, 1721-7, 1729-32, 1734-43, 1745-94, 1796-1822, 1826-50 (1854-6 damaged)
TS (1)CMB 1598-1900 (indexed) ORO, SG, Bod, OxS, Adderbury Lib, BanL, Inc, #;
TS (2)C 1598-1780 (revision), 1901-94, M 1897-1967, B 1898-1994 (indexed) ORO, SG, OxS, Inc, #;
TS (3)Index B 1598-1840 Ban Mus
MfBT 1670-1856 SG, LDS
IGIBT C 1670-1856; M 1598-1840
MI (1)OxS, Adderbury Lib, BanL, #
MI (2)2000 burial ground at Hornhill Rd., OxS,#
OFHS CDBAN02 C 1598-1994 M 1598-1967 B 1598-1994
NotesSee also Barford St. John, Bodicote and Milton (St. John the Evangelist) regs.

Description and Travel

Adderbury village web site: http://www.adderbury.org/

Extract from Oxfordshire FHS map


Right: a fragment from Oxfordshire FHS's map of parishes.

Adderbury boundaries on maps.familysearch.org

Parish Registers

– see Church Records


 Find help, report problems, or contribute information

 Maintained by Malcolm Austen.

 © 2011 GENUKI and its trustees

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.
places/adderbury/start.txt · Last modified: 2011/09/11 13:51 by Malcolm Austen