ALVESCOTT, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, in the county of Oxford, 3 miles to the W. of Bampton. Faringdon is the post town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £371, in the patronage of the Rev. T. Neate, who is lord of the manor. The church, which is ancient, is in the form of a cross, and has a tower in the plain Norman style. There is a school endowed by Goddard Carter, in 1723, with £5 a year, being half a rent-charge of £10, of which the other half was bequeathed for the purpose of apprenticing poor children. Alvescott was at one time a possession of Tewkesbury Abbey.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees