ARDLEY, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, in the county of Oxford, 4 miles to the N.W. of Bicester. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £307, in the patronage of the Duke of Marlborough. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and is a modern structure, except the chancel and tower, which are ancient. A castle was erected here in the reign of King Stephen, of which some remains still exist to the west of the church. The castle stood on the site of Offa's camp. The fess, which formed the boundary line of the kingdoms of Wessex and Mercia ran through this parish, and is still traceable at some points.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees