ASTON ROWNANT, a parish in the hundred of Lewknor, in the county of Oxford, 5 miles to the S. of Thame, its post town. It lies near the border of Buckinghamshire, on the north side of the Chiltern hills, and comprises the townships of Chalford and Kingston Blount. A branch of the ancient way called Iknield Street passes through the parish, and some Roman antiquities have been discovered near it. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £190, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is in the early English style, and contains several old monuments and two brasses, the earliest of the year 1441. It is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is a school endowed with £41 per annum, and other charities amounting to £80. The principal residence is Aston Park, the seat of Sir F. Desanges.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees