BAILEY, a parochial chapelry in the parish of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county Oxford, 2 miles N. of Witney. Two-thirds of the land is, arable, the remainder pasture and woodland, with a small tract of common. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, value £145, in the patronage of the Rector of Witney. The church is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, and has recently been enlarged. The charities produce about £50 per annum, including the income of Smith's free school.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees