BALDON MARSH, (or March), a parish in the hundred of Bullingdon, in the county of Oxford, 6 miles to the S.E. of Oxford, its post town. It is situated near the border of Berkshire, on the east side of the river Thames. The Roman road from Alcester to Wallingford passed through it. The living is a rectory's in the diocese of Oxford, value £93, in the patronage of Sir H. P. Willoughby, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The parochial charities amount to £9 a-year. Baldon Hall is the manor house and seat of the Willoughbys: one of whom, Sir Christopher Willoughby, has been praised for his ambition and endeavour to produce on his own farm the entire food of his household.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees