BANBURY HUNDRED, one of the fourteen hundreds or subdivisions of the county of Oxford, situated at the northern extremity of the county, and bounded on the N. by the counties of Warwick and Northampton, on the E. by the county of Northampton, and on the S. and W. by the hundred of Bloxham. There are two detached parts of this hundred, one nearly enclosed by the hundred of Bloxham, the other by the hundreds of Chadlington and Wootton. It contains the chief part of the parishes of Banbury, Charlbury, and Cropredy, the whole of Clattercote and Swalcliffe parishes, and the extra-parochial liberties of Cornbury Park and Prescott. The hundred comprises an area of about 21,200 acres.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees