BARTON-STEEPLE, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, in the county of Oxford, 5 miles to the N. of Woodstock. It is watered by a small stream, a branch of the Evenlode, and contains the hamlets of Middle Barton and Barton-Seswells. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £112, in the patronage of the Duke of Marlborough and H. Hall, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains monuments of the Dormers. The manor-house, erected in 1524, by John Dormer, is an interesting example of Tudor architecture. One of its spacious upper apartments is adorned with frescoes. The village is a meet for the Heythorpe hounds.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees