^top^

Bensington

BENSINGTON, (or Benson), a parish in the hundred of Ewelme, in the county of Oxford, 1 mile to the N. of Wallingford, its post town. It is situated on the E. side of the river Thames, and contains the hamlets of Fifield, Crowmarsh-Battle, and Roke. Bensington is a very ancient place. The Saxon form of its name is Benesingtun, or Bysingtun. It is said to have been in the possession of the Britons till 572, when it was taken by Cealwyn, king of Wessex. About 200 years later it was taken from the West Saxons by Offa, king of Mercia. It was the site of a royal residence. The Roman Way between Wallingford and Alchester passed through this parish, and was carried across the Thames here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £220, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church, which stands near the site of the old royal castle, is dedicated to St. Helen. It is an ancient building with a tower of modern erection. The chancel has recently been rebuilt, and the church enlarged, Beneath the tower a stone coffin was some time since discovered. The charitable endowments of the parish produce £80 a year, chiefly consisting of the revenue of the church lands.

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
 


 Find help, report problems, or contribute information

 Maintained by Malcolm Austen.

 © 2011 GENUKI and its trustees

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.
places/bensington/start.txt · Last modified: 2011/07/28 15:30 (external edit)