BLACK-BOURTON, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, in the county of Oxford, 2 miles to the W. of Bampton. Witney is its post town. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £148, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is in the early English style, and contains a stone pulpit and monuments to the Hungerfords and Sir A. Hopton. The village was the birthplace (1769) of Maria Edgeworth, the novelist, whose grandfather resided here. The Heythrop hounds meet here.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees