BLETCHINGTON, (or Bletchingdon), a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, in the county of Oxford, 4 miles to the E. of Woodstock. The river Cherwell and the Oxford canal pass near it on the west. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £356, in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. The charitable endowments of the parish, which include an almshouse for four persons, founded in 1520 by Leonard Power and since rebuilt, amount to about £55 per annum. Bletchington Park is the seat of the Annesley family.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees