BRIGHTWELL BALDWIN, a parish in the hundred of Ewelme, in the county of Oxford, 5 miles to the N.E. of Wallingford. Tetsworth is its, post town. It lies in a pleasant country, on the eastern side of the Thames, and contains the tything of Cardwell. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £385, in the patronage of Lowndes Stone Norton, Esq. The church, an ancient structure in the early English style, with a Norman exterior staircase, is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. It contains several fine monumental brasses, the remains of a credence table, two piscinas, an ancient font, the tombs of the Stone and Carleton families, several very ancient stained windows, and some painted tiles. Several Roman urns and an ancient glass vessel were once discovered at Bushy Leas, near this village. The parochial charities are worth about £14 a year.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees