BRITWELL-PRIOR, (or Brightwell-Prior), a chapelry in the parish of Newington, and hundred of Ewelme, in the county of Oxford, 1 mile from Watlington, and 8 N.E. of Wallingford. The living is united with the rectory of Newington. The church is a small ancient building, with several brasses. Many military remains have been found in this neighbourhood, which is supposed to have been the scene of one of Hampden's battles. It was the site of a small priory, of which there are no remains. A nunnery existed here some years ago. The principal residence is Britwell Grove.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees