BRITWELL-SALOME, (or Brightwell-Salome), a parish in the hundred of Lewknor, in the county of Oxford, close to Britwell-Prior. It is situated near the ancient way called Icknield Street, which crossed Britwell Downs. On the downs are remains of a camp. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £240, in the patronage of Lord Carrington. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a small stone building, with bell-cot for two bells. It contains a very ancient font and some brasses. The charities amount to 22 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees