BROADWELL, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, in the county of Oxford, 4 miles to the W. of Bampton. It is situated in a pleasant country, and contains the chapelry of Holwell and the hamlets of Filkins and Kelmscott. The old British way, Akeman Street, crosses the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, of the value with the perpetual curacies of Holwell and Kelmscott annexed, of £270, in the patronage of the Rev. T. W. Goodlake. The church, a cruciform edifice, is dedicated to SS. Peter and Pmt, and contains monuments of the Colston family. In the village are an ancient chapel and cross. The parochial charities are worth £8 a year. The chief residence is Broadwell Grove House, situated in the midst of fine woodland scenery. The mansion stands on the site of an older one, the seat of the Thomonds. Filkins Hall is the residence of the Colstons, who are descended from Edward Colston, the distinguished merchant and philanthropist of Bristol.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees