BROUGHTON, a parish in the hundred of Bloxham, in the county of Oxford, 3 miles to the S.W. of Banbury, its post town. It lid near the border of Northamptonshire, and contains the hamlet of North Newington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £539, in the patronage of the Rev. C. F. Wyatt, incumbent. The church, which is in the perpendicular style, is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains many monuments to the families of the Broughtons, Wykhams, and Twistletons. The poor have the benefit of a valuable endowment founded by Lady Saye and Sele, and producing £145 per annum. Broughton Castle, the seat of Lord Saye and Sele, is moated, and was anciently a fortress of great strength. It was founded as early as the reign of Edward L, but a large part of the present structure was erected in the 16th century. It has some good stained windows, with the arms and quarterings of its various owners.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees