BUCKNELL, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, in the county of Oxford, 2 miles to the N.W. of Bicester, its post town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, in the gift of the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford. The church, which exhibits the Norman and early English styles of architecture, is dedicated to St. Peter. It contains a monumental brass of the date 1638. The parochial charities produce about £10 a year. The chief residence is Bucknell House. Traces of an ancient village exist here, which was destroyed by the Danes early in the 10th century.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees