CASSINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, in the county of Oxford, 6 miles to the N.W. of Oxford, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Thames (here called Isis), and contains the hamlet of Worton. It was the site of a castle, a seat of the Montacutes, to whom the manor belonged. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £166, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church, part of which is of very ancient date, is dedicated to St. Peter. It was erected in the reign of Henry II. by his chamberlain, Geoffrey Clinton. It is partly in the Norman style, and contains two monumental brasses, one of which is dated 1420. The charitable endowments of the parish, consisting chiefly of a bequest by Henry Alnutt for teaching and clothing poor boys, produce about £40 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees