CHALGROVE, a parish in the hundred of Ewelme, in the county of Oxford, 8 miles S.W. of Thame, and 6 S.W. of Tetsworth, its post town. Chalgrove Field is celebrated as having (on the 18th June, 1643) been the scene of a battle between the royalists and parliamentarians where John Hampden was mortally wounded, to whose memory a monument was erected on the 18th June, 1843, being the 200th anniversary of the occurrence. The living is a vicarage* in the dioc, of Oxford, value, with the curacy of Berwick Salome annexed, £600, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice in the Norman style, and contains several monuments, brasses, and an antique font. There are charities to the value of £53 per annum, and £40 per annum for the repairs of the church. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, and there is a small school. 31. Blount, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees