^top^

Charlton Upon Otmoor

CHARLTON UPON OTMOOR, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, in the county of Oxford, 5 miles S.W. of Bicester, 9 N.E. of Oxford, its post town, and 3 S.W. of the Islip station of the London and North-Western railway. It is situated on the river Ray, and contains the townships of Charlton, Murcott, and Fencott. It is said formerly to have been a cell to the priory of St. Ebrulf Utica. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, and in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, in the early English style of architecture. It contains a curious brass, and there is a stone cross in the churchyard. The charities amount to £10 per annum. The Wesleyans, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists have chapels. Roman pottery has been discovered in the neighbourhood. The manorial rights are vested in the trustees of Sir G. P. Turner. It is a meet for the hounds of Mr. Drake.

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
 


 Find help, report problems, or contribute information

 Maintained by Malcolm Austen.

 © 2011 GENUKI and its trustees

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.
places/charlton_upon_otmoor/start.txt · Last modified: 2011/07/28 15:29 (external edit)