CHASTLETON, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, in the county of Oxford, 4 miles S.E. of Moreton-in-the-Marsh, its post town, and the same distance N.W. of Chipping Norton. A severe engagement occurred here between Canute and Edmund Ironside, in which the former was defeated. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £518, in the patronage of Sir R. Westmacott. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is in the Norman style of architecture. There are charities to the value of £23. Chastleton Hill House is a fine mansion in the Elizabethan style, near which is a Roman encampment. The manorial rights are vested in the trustees of the late J. W. Jones, Esq.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees