CHECKENDON, (or Chakenden), a parish in the hundred of Langtree, in the county of Oxford, 7 miles W. of Henley-upon-Thames, its post town, and 4.5 from the Goring railway station on the Great Western line. It is situated under the Chiltern hills, and the village is small and straggling. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £555, in the patronage of University College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient edifice in the Norman style of architecture, and possesses some ancient brasses. There are several small charities for clothing the poor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees