CHESTERTON, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, in the county of Oxford, 2 miles S.W. of Bicester, its post town, and 11 N.E. of Oxford. It is situated on a branch of the river Ray, near the old British road Akeman Street. The parish includes the hamlet of Little Chesterton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £200, in the patronage of New College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice, with a piscina and sedilia. Here is a free school. The Earl of Jersey is lord of the manor. There is a meet here for Mr. Drake's hounds.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees