CHINNOR, a parish in the hundred of Lewknor, in the county of Oxford, 4 miles S.E. of Thame. It is pleasantly situated near the Chiltern hills, and the ancient British Iknield Street. It comprises the hamlets of Oakley and Hepton. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £509, in the patronage of Sir J. Musgrave. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient edifice, in the Norman style, with tower and a fine peal of bells; it contains several brasses, one of which bears date 1330. The Independents have a place of worship. The manufacture of Windsor chairs and lace is the chief employment of the inhabitants. A meeting for the sale of lace, locally called a “lace feast,” is held here every fortnight.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees