CHISELHAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Dorchester, in the county of Oxford, 6 miles N.W. of Abingdon, and 7.5 S.E. of Oxford. It is situated on the river Thames. The Great Western railway passes within a few miles of the village, and has a station at Abingdon road. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to which is the perpetual curacy of Stadhampton, value together £135, in the diocese of Oxford, in the patronage of C. Peers, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern edifice. Chiselhampton Lodge, a handsome mansion of red brick, with stone pilasters and pediment, surrounded by a park of 24 acres, was formerly the seat of the D'Oyley family, but is now the property of C. Peers, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and recorder of Henley-on-Thames.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees