CLANFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, in the county of Oxford, 2 miles W. of Bampton, its post town, and 18 W. of Oxford. It is situated on the river Isis. Little Clanfield, to which it is united, stands half a mile S. of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £90, in the patronage of J. H. Elliott, and H. Bennett, Esqrs. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, is an ancient edifice, in the Roman style. The annual value of the charities is £5. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship, and there is a National school.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees