CLAYDON, a chapelry in the parish of Cropredy, hundred of Banbury, in the county of Oxford, 6 miles N. of Banbury, and 29 miles N. of Oxford. It is situated near the Oxford canal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, value £125, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient and curious structure. The charities amount to £20 per annum. Here the Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. Claydon Wood is a meet for the hounds of Mr. Drake.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees