CLIFTON, a township in the parish of Deddington, hundred of Wootton, in the county of Oxford, 1.1 mile E. of Deddington, its post town. It is watered by the river Cherwell. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Deddington, in the diocese of Oxford, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. Roman coins and pottery have been discovered here, and are preserved by a gentleman in the neighbourhood.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees