^top^

Crowell

CROWELL, a parish in the hundred of Lewknor, in the county of Oxford, 7 miles S. of Thame, and 4 from Tetsworth, its post town. It is situated at the foot of the Chiltern hills, near the ancient Icknield Street. The village is small. Lace and beechwood chairs are made here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £190, in the patronage of Miss Wykeham. The church, a very small building, is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to £2 per annum. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The Baroness Wenman is lady of the manor.

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
 


 Find help, report problems, or contribute information

 Maintained by Malcolm Austen.

 © 2011 GENUKI and its trustees

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.
places/crowell/start.txt · Last modified: 2011/07/28 15:29 (external edit)