CULHAM, a parish in the hundred of Dorchester, in the county of Oxford, 1 mile S.E. of Abingdon, its post town, and near the Abingdon Road station of the Great Western railway. The parish is bounded on the S., W., and N.W. by the river Thames. Near the village is a bridge over the Thames, and a farmhouse, once the seat of the abbots of Abingdon, to whom the manor belonged. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £100, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, is in the early English style. The charities amount to £41 per annum. Here is a training college for schoolmasters, a handsome building, the erection of which cost nearly £20,000, and is capable of containing 100 students. Sir George Pechell is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees