DEDDINGTON, a parish and small town in the hundred of Wootton, in the county of Oxford, 9 miles N.E. of Woodstock, and 15.5 N. of Oxford. It is situated near the Oxford canal, and the rivers Sucre and Cherwell. The parish contains the hamlets of Clifton and Hempton. It appears in Domesday as Daddington, and was anciently a corporate town, returning two members to parliament. The manor of Deddington formerly belonged to the Chesnies. The town, which contains some well-built houses, and is well supplied with water, has gradually decayed, and the ancient market is at present discontinued. Some of the inhabitants are engaged as wheelwrights and brewers but the trade in malt liquors has declined. It is a polling-place for the county, and petty sessions are held by the county magistrates on the first Saturday in each month. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value with the curacy of Clifton, £150, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is a large and handsome structure, with square tower. It contains some ancient brasses and a piscina. The charities amount to £153 per annum. The Wesleyans and Independents have chapels. There is a National school, and four almshouses. Sir W. Scroggs, Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench, and Sir Thomas Pope, founder of Trinity College, Oxford, were born here. There are remains of a castle on the E. side of the town, extending over nearly ten acres, in which Piers Gaveston, favourite of Edward II., was imprisoned. The Dean and Canons of Windsor, Christ Church College, and the Duchy of Lancaster, are lords of the manor. Deddington deanery contains 21 benefices. Fairs are held on the 21st August and the 22nd November for cattle.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
The village web site: Deddington Online
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees