DRAYTON, a parish in the hundred of Bloxham, in the county of Oxford, 2 miles N.W. of Banbury, its railway station and post town. It formerly belonged to the Ardens and Grevilles, but is now possessed by Earl Delawarr and Earl Guilford of Wroxton. The parish is of small extent and hilly, with a light soil. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £316, in the patronage of Earl Delawarr, who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small plain structure of the 14th century, and has a low tower. It contains monuments to the Greville family, whose old seat is the present workhouse. The charities amount to nearly £30 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees