DUNSTEW, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, in the county of Oxford, 2 miles from Deddington, and 7 N. of Woodstock, its post town. It is pleasantly situated in a healthy spot, near the rivers Glyme and Evenlode. Stone of good quality for building is quarried, and some of the inhabitants are engaged in glove-making for the Woodstock market. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Oxford, value £237, in the patronage of Sir George Dashwood, Bart., who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a square tower. The charities amount to £13 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees