EMMINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Lewknor, county Oxford, 4 miles S.E. of Thame. Tetsworth is its post town. The surface is level, and the soil is a strong clay. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £162. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Nicholas, and has a singular parallelogram-shaped tower, without any visible entrance from the outside. There are a few small charities.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees