ENSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 4 miles S.E. of Chipping Norton. It is situated on the river Glyn, and comprises the hamlets of Church Enstone and Neat Enstone, Chalford, Cleveley, Gagingwell, Lidstone, and Radford. Nearly the whole of the land is arable. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £357. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is a spacious and substantial structure. There are charitable bequests producing about £70 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school. Lord Dillon is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees