FIFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 42 miles N.W. of Burford, and 7 S.W. of Chipping Norton, its post town. It is situated on the river Evenload. The surface is hilly, the arable land chiefly stone brash, and the pastures clayey. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, value £49, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient edifice with an octagonal tower, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and containing some ancient monuments. The parochial endowments yield nearly £50 per annum. Lord Dynevor is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees