FRITWELL, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 5 miles N.W. of Bicester, its post town, and 9 S.E. of Banbury. The land is almost wholly pasture, with a small proportion of woodland. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £103. The church is a stone edifice of ancient date, the roof supported by circular arches resting upon massive round pillars, with plain capitals. It is dedicated to St. Olave, and has a very old font. A stone cross once stood in the churchyard, of which there are some remains. The charities produce about £3 yearly. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel, and there is a day school. J. Willes, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees