GARSINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Bullingdon, county Oxford, 2.5 miles S.W. of Wheatley, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Oxford. It is situated W. of the river Thame, about 5 miles from its junction with the Thames. This was formerly a barony, and belonged to the De-la-Mare family. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £482, in the patronage of Trinity Col loge, Oxford. The church is an old edifice, dedicated to St. Mary, and has a brass of 1484. The charities amount to about £4 per annum. An old mansion here was the seat of Sir T. Pope, founder of the above college at Oxford.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees