GLYMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 3 miles N. of Woodstock, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Charlbury. It is situated on the river Glyme, a tributary of the Evenlode. A short distance from the village the stream forms a lovely cascade. The land is chiefly arable, with a small proportion of meadow and woodland. The village consists of a few farmhouses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent charge of £250 1s. 6d. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £258. The church is a plain edifice dedicated to St. Mary. There is a parochial school. Glympton Park is the principal residence. G. H. Barnett, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees