GREAT BOURTON, (and Little) a township in the parish of Cropredy, hundred of Banbury, in the county of Oxford, 3.5 miles to the N. of Banbury, and 26.5 N. of Oxford. Here is a free school, endowed by Thomas Gill, in 1666, with a revenue of about £25 per annum. The ancient chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, is occupied as the school-house. There is an Independent chapel in Great Bourton, and a Wesleyan chapel in Little Bourton, which is 1 mile nearer to Banbury.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees