GREAT MILTON, a parish in the hundreds of Thame and Bullingdon, county Oxford, 6 miles S.W. of Thame, and 8 from Oxford. Tetsworth is its post town. The parish, which is of considerable extent, is situated near the river Thame, and includes the hamlets of Little Milton, Chilworth, and Ascot. It is mentioned in Domesday as Midelton, and had a priory cell to Abingdon, which was given to Richard de Louches. At Milton Field is a meet for the Wormsley harriers. In 1840 an Act was obtained for enclosing 1,300 acres. The prebendal tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £850, and the vicarial for £185. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £248, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church, dedicated to St. Matthew, is an ancient and noble structure, with a square pinnacled and embattled tower. The interior of the church has a monument to the Dormer family. There is also a district church at Little Milton, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £100, in the patronage of the bishop. The charities include Kent's annuity of £50 towards the support of a school. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees