GREAT TEW, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 3.5 miles N.E. of Neat-Enstone, its post town, and 16 N.W. of Oxford. The Heythrop hounds meet in this parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £134. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has been enlarged. The interior contains some ancient brasses and sculptured effigies, and the tomb of Lord Falkland. The parochial charities produce about £36 per annum. There is a National school. Near this place several Roman antiquities have been discovered. M. P. W. Boulton, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees