HAMPTON GAY, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 6.5 miles N. of Oxford, its post town, and 3 from Woodstock. The parish, which is small, is situated on the Oxford canal and the river Cherwell. Here are paper-mills, which afford employment to a portion of the inhabitants. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, value £20. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient edifice with low tower. In the interior is a mural monument to Sir Vincent Barry. Hampton House, an old Elizabethan seat, is the principal residence. Charles Venables, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees