HAMPTON POYLE, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 6 miles -N. of Oxford, its post town, and 4 E. of Woodstock. It is situated on the river Cherwell. The parish is wholly agricultural, and contains only a few farmhouses. The tithes were commuted for corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1796. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £250, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is of ancient erection. It contains monuments of the Poyle family, from whom the parish takes its name; also an ancient carved piscina and brass, bearing date 1424. There are a few small charities, and a National school with a small endowment.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees