HANDBOROUGH, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 5 miles S.W. of Woodstock, its post town, and 8 from Oxford. It is a station on the West Midland railway. The parish, which is considerable, is situated on the river Evenlode, and contains the village of Long Handborough. Gypsum is found here. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the glove trade, which is here carried on to a considerable extent. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1772. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £353, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is situated on rising ground. It is of ancient origin, and has a lofty spire. At the N. entrance is a fine Norman arch, ornamented with an effigy of St. Peter. In the interior is an ancient font, screen, and roodloft; also a brass of A. Belsyre. The charities produce about £20 per annum. There is a National school, and a chapel at Long Handborough for Wesleyans. The Duke of Marlborough is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees