HANWELL, a parish in the hundred of Bloxham, county Oxford, 3 miles N.W. of Banbury, its post town, and 26 from Oxford. It is situated near the Oxford canal. The land is chiefly in pasture and meadow. Here are some remains of the castle built in the reign of Henry VII., and noticed by Leland as the “gallant house of Hanwell.” It was a quadrangular building, with massive towers at the angles, of which only one, with a portion of the S. front, is at present remaining, converted into a farmhouse. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £320. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice with a fine tower. In the interior are effigies of the Cope family. There is a free school for both sexes. The charities produce £1 per annum. Earl Delawarr is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees