HEADINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Bullingdon, county Oxford, 1.5 mile N.E. of Oxford, its post town. It formerly had a palace of Ethelred's at Court Close. The meadows on the banks of the Cherwell are luxuriantly rich. There are stone quarries of excellent quality, which have furnished materials for the erection of most of the colleges and other public buildings of Oxford. Great quantities of bricks are made here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £162. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and has a very ancient cross. There is also a district church at Headington Quarry, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £42. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum, which goes towards the support of the school. There is a National school for both sexes. The union poorhouse is situated in this parish, as also the Wornford lunatic asylum, which last occupies a commanding site on Headington Hill.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees