HEATH, (or Hethe), a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 5 miles N.E. of Bicester, its post town, and 17 N.E. of Oxford. It is a small village, the upper part of which is separated from the lower by a small rivulet in connection with the river Ouse. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil gravel. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £164. The church, dedicated to SS. George and Edmund, is an ancient structure, with a very antique font. The Wesleyans and Roman Catholics have chapels. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. Hethe House is the principal residence. J. H. S. Harrison, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees