HOLTON, a parish in the hundred of Bullingdon, county Oxford, 1 mile N.E. of Wheatley, its post town, and 5 miles E. of Oxford. The village, which is small, and wholly agricultural, is situated on the river Thame. The soil is generally a rich loam, resting upon clay, and in the hills upon oolitic rock. About two-thirds of the land is in meadow and pasture, the remainder arable, producing excellent crops. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £390. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a cruciform structure, with two chapels attached on the N. and S. sides. In the register is an entry recording the marriage of General Ireton with Bridget, daughter of Oliver Cromwell. Holton House, rebuilt in 1804, is surrounded by a park of 150 acres. The charities produce £13 per annum, chiefly the endowment of a school built in 1790.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees