^top^

Hook-Norton{ With Southrop}

HOOK-NORTON{ WITH SOUTHROP}, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 5 miles N.E. of Chipping-Norton, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Banbury. It is situated on the borders of Warwickshire, and was given by William the Conqueror to Robert de Oily, and in 1285 belonged to Ela, Countess of Warwick. Near Hook-Norton Lodge are the remains of a Saxon camp. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Oxford, value £180, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, which is situated on rising ground in the centre of the village, is an ancient structure with a tower, dedicated to St. Peter, and has been thoroughly restored at great expense. The interior contains an antique Norman font. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Baptists, and Society of Friends, have each a chapel. There are National and British schools.

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
 


 Find help, report problems, or contribute information

 Maintained by Malcolm Austen.

 © 2011 GENUKI and its trustees

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.
places/hook-norton_with_southrop/start.txt · Last modified: 2011/07/28 15:29 (external edit)